|Ladakh 13N|14D|


OverviewCULTURAL TOURPHOTO TOURHIMALAYAN ADVENTURE TOURWILDLIFE and BIRDING TOURNATURE TOUR


Ladakh, the fascinating high altitude plateau at India’s furthest northern frontier probably occupies one of the topmost ‘must visit destinations’ for the nature lovers.

Originating from La-Tags – Ladakh means “land of the High Mountain Passes” where Nature has sketched some amazing landscapes with stunning pastel to make man feel spiritually high. In summer the valley wears the colour of sullen grey, siltladen, and sometimes turning into violet. In autumn, the Indus valley is at the height of gracefulness-turquoise and aquamarine water weaving through golden banks of tall poplars and tumbling willows. Indus river bisects the plateau and by the banks of Indus, sits Leh, the capital of Ladakh.


Suggested Itinerary LADAKH


Ladakh Tour Itinerary 13N|14D

You can always Customize the Itinerary as per your choices


Important Places


Leh

Leh is the state capital accessible by road from Srinagar in Kasmir via Sonmarg, Zoji La, Kargil, Fatu La and Saspol while from Manali in Himachal Pradesh via Rohtang La, Keylong,the Baralacha, Naki,Lachulung and Tanglang La. Leh from its vantage on the northern crag is a diminutive Potala. General Zorawar’s Fort, Leh Palace – the 9 storied construction which is the replica of Potala Palace, Tsemo the Red Gompha, the Stok Palace, The Mosque, and numerous other Gomphas are all of tourist delight. Leh became the capital of Stod (upper Ladakh) during the reign of King Graspa Bum-Lde, who ruled Ladakh from 1400 to 1430 AD. In the later period, leh became an important center for trade in Central Asia. Leh remained merely the headquarter of Ladakh district until 1974, when Ladakh was opened for foreign tourists. Since then Lh became the center for tourism related activities in the region.


Tso Kar Lake

Like Tsomoriri, Tso-kar an another important lake surrounded by wetlands and lush green meadows is not only home to many birds but also has the vast surrounding area forming the main pasture of the Samad-Rokchen nomadic community living in tents (Rebo) around the lake. The lake water is brackish and in fact traditionally it was a major source of salt for the locals.


Kargil

The Kargil town is 220 kilometers from Leh. It is almost halfway to Srinagar from Leh. This town remained a transit point of trade caravans from Tibet, Central Asia Yarkand enroute Kashmir until 1949. Since Ladakh was open to tourists in 1974, the Kargil town became a night-halt place for tourists traveling between Srinagar-Leh-Zanskar. Kargil, at an altitude of 10,000 feet, has the mighty Suru River flowing through it. Once a Buddhist area, this Shia Muslim dominated district was converted to Islam in 15th century.


Lamayuru

The Lamayuru “Yungdrung Tharpaling” Gonpa is remarkably built on natural pillar like formations of sandstone. It is around 125 kms west of Leh, on the Leh srinagar highway.

The history of the monastery begins with the visit of Arahat Nimagung to this place, when there was merely a Lake here. It is said that Arahat made a prophecy that “the monastery will come up at this spot” and he made offerings (prayers with grains of corns) to the Nagasarpent spirits. The corns mixed with the earth and grew in the form of Swastika (Yungdrung) and that was how the monastery got its name Yungdrung Tharpaling Monastery.


Tsemo Gompa

The ‘Red Gonpa’ known as Tsemo Gonpa was built by King Graspa Bum-Lde in 1430 AD. The monument has three storey statue of Maitriya Buddha and a one Storey statue of Avalokitesvara and Manjushri.


Tisuru Stupa

Consist of 108 temples, which was remarkable work done in the reign of king Graspa-Bum-Lde, located near Shanti Stupa.


Saboo

Saboo village is located at the distance of eight km east of Leh. Its altitude is 3450 m. It is composed of five distinct localities: Saboo, Meyak, Yoknos and Ayu. The village Saboo, as most of the villages in Ladakh, is still an agragrian society. Glaciers  are the source of sustainance for the farmers for irrigation directly or indirectly.Ayu has in its domain natural springs that provide for their agricultural and drinking water-needs. Ayu is renowned for its medicinal spring water, to which Ladakhis travel far and wide for healing.Close to the spring lies Gonpa where three senior hermits reside.


Tak Tok Gompha

This Gompha is located on the Leh-Manali highway at a distance of 15 km from Karu. It is said that Guru Padmasambhava flew to Tibet astride a tiger and awed the locals with his tantric power. He bound the local deities by oath to become his servants and protectors of Buddhadharma and established Tibet’s first monastery at Samye. Tak Tok Gompha, the only Nyingma monastery of Ladakh in the 16th century is the place where Guru Padmasambhava is believed to have meditated.


Stok (Tok)

Stok, around 14 kms south-east of Leh is a place where the present day royal family resides. Stok Palace and Museum were built in the year 1825, by King Tsespal Tondup Namgyal, after the Zorawar’s annexation of Ladakh. The royal family resides here since Ladakh lost to Zorawar Singh. At present the palace has a collection of royal dresses, King’s crownetc. Gurphuk Gonpa, a branch of Spituk monastery is a little away from the palace.


Shey (Shil)

Shey means looking glass, received its name due to the reflection of the Palace in the small lake below the Palace. It stands proudly approximately 15 kms from Leh town on the bank of Indus river. Shey has credit for being the first fort constructed by the first King of Ladakh, Lhachen Spalgigon and the fort ruin can be seen even today above the present Shey Palace.


Stakna (Stak-sna) Gonpa

Stak-na means ‘tigernose’. This picturesque monastery on the left bank of the River Indus belongs to the Dugpa sect of Bhutanese origin which is 25 kms east of Leh. It is a small monastery founded in 1580 by King Jamyang Namgyal. The most important statue in the monastery is said to be Arya Avalokiteshvara.Hemis Gonpa The Hemis Monastery is around 45 kms south of Leh, which is the most famous and largest monestary of Ladakh. It belongs to the Dukpa order of Tibetan Buddhism. The monastery was founded by the first incarnation of Stagsang Raspa Nawang Gyatso in 1630, who was invited in ladakh by King Singay Namgyal.. The king’s youngest son Nawang Namgyal became a monk and his name was changed to Zamling Drags. The monastery was named Changchub Samling. Presently some 500 monks are enrolled with this monastery. The Hemis festival is held in the month of June. One of the special features of the monastery is the display of a special Thanka ( scroll painting) every 12 years. Last time this Thanka was exhibited to devotees in the year 2004.


Takthok (Dak-thok) Gonpa

Takthok or Dak-thok means ‘rock ceiling’ derived from the rock caves (once a retreat), ceiling the shrines of the monastery. It is 50 kms eat of Leh. It is the only monastery belonging to the Nyingmapa School of order ( the oldest sect of Tibetan Buddhism). The monastery came into existence when a tantric guru Padmasambhava visited this place and blessed it in the 8th century. The Gonpa was merely a meditation cave of Padmasambhava with footprints and many other auspicious signs, until the reign of King Tsewang Namgyal. When Mahasiddha Kunga Phuntsog introduced monastic community, it was given the name of Takthok Padmalinggon.


Spituk (Pethup) Gonpa

The Spituk or Pe-Thup literally means ‘exemplary’. It is 7 kms south of Leh town. It was founded by Od-Lde in the 11th century. In those days the Gonpa belonged to Kadampa School, but during the reign of King Drakspa Bum-Lde, Gelugpa order was introduced and Lama Lhawang Lotos restored the monastery.


Phyang (Chiwang ) Gonpa

Phyang is 17 kms west of Leh is remarkably built on a hill top, wjich is similar to Likir Monastery. This monastery belongs to Dregungpa order. It was founded in the 16th century. It has about 50 monks residing.


Basgo (Bago) Chamba and Palace

42 kms from Leh town Basgo village encompasses a rich heritage including the historic 75 feet Maitreya ( future Buddha) statue enlisted as one of the hundred endangered sites of the world 2001 by UNESCO. And the villagers led by an educated batch, have taken up this task to save the statue housed in a richly decorated structure standing precariously on cliffs some 300 mtrs above the village level.


Likir (Klu-Khil) Gonpa

A few kilometers further from Basgo is the Liker village, which has a Gelugpa order monastery. In fact the village got its name from the monastery Klu-khil meaning ‘ the Naga Encircled” – a myth associated with the founding of this monastery. It is 53 kms west of Leh. It was founded in 1065 AD, Lama Duwang Chosje during the reign of King Lhachen Gyalpo.


Alchi (Achi) Chaskor

Alchi Choskor “religious enclave” is 69 kms west of Leh. It is the most famous and largest of all the Gonpas built by Lotsava Rinchen Zangpo, the great translator, in 11th century and later he appointed four families to look after the Choskor as there was no monastic community introduced. Later, in the 15th century Choskar was taken over by the Likir monastery; since than Choskor is being taken care of by Liker Monastery.


Tso-Moriri

Tso- Moriri Lake is located at a height of 15200 ft in Rupsu valley, 230 kms from Leh. The Korjok Gompha is one of the attraction on this way. One can go upto Numa even to have the glimpses of Kiyang.


Lamayuru (Yungdrung) Gonpa

The Lamayuru “ Yungdrung Tharpaling” Gonpa is remarkably built on natural pillar like formations of sandstone. It is around 125 kms west of Leh, on the Leh srinagar highway.


Nubra Valley

Originally called “Ldumra” meaning the valley of flowers’. It is situated in the north of Ladakh region. The average altitude of valley is about 10,000 ft above the sea level. The main settlement are along the Shayok River and the Siachen River. The river belt areas are sandy and the vegetative cover includes green farmarisk and myricaria. One of the unique features of the landscape in Nubra is the sand dunes between Deskit ( administrative center) and Hunder villages.

Ancient trade route passed through Nubra valley and imprints can be seen even today. The double-humped Bactrian Camels of Silk route trade period still wander in the wilderness of the valley.

The drive between Leh and Nubra involves negotiating the Khardungla Pass ( 5602 mtrs above sea level), which is considered as the highest motorable pass in the world.


Deskit

Deskit is the administrative center for the Nubra valley; it is larger than surrounding villages. Deskit has sizeable number of shops and eateries providing for restocking some of your necessary supplies. The village has a picturesque monastery perched on a hill. It was founded by Lama Sherab Zangpo of Stod in 1420 AD during the reign of King Dragspa. About 100 monks are residing in the Gonpa. It is a branch of Thiksey Monastery.


Hunder

Hunder is located 7 km from Deskit. On the way to Hunder are the famous sand dunes of Nubra. A walk through these dunes along a small stream is a nice experience. You may come across double humped camels on the way. Camels are domesticated, but many are left uncared and wild, especially males. These camels remind you of the silk route. Hunder is a pretty village amidst willow and poplar trees. There is a monastery, which is over 500 years old and history tells that this monastery withstood the once major flood in Shayok River that washed away the entire village.


Sumur

Sumur is opposite to Deskit on the other side of the river Shayok. It has a large Gelugpa order monastery called Samstanling Gompa, which is about half an hour walk from Sumur.


Panamik

Further away from Sumur is the Panamik village, which is known for the natural springs having medicinal powers. The village comprises twenty four families. Approximately five kilometers north of Panamik village is the furthest point tourist can go to; beyond this is the restricted area.


Changthang

The ladakh’s portion of the great Tibetan Plateau, known as the Chang-thang, is inhabited by Changpa nomads, the traditional producers of the finest quality Pashmina wool used by Kashmiri weavers for their famous and expensive shawls. The scenic beauty including lakes and the vast wilderness of Changthang and its reach wild life is one of the most sought after destinies for tourists.

Its northern offshore island of 80 x 60 meter size forms the main nesting site for Bar-headed Goose and Brown-headed Gull. Other birds found at the lake are Horned-lark, Red Billed Chough, different species of Wagtails, Tibetan Snowfinch, Crag Martin etc. This lake wetland harbouring rare birds in Korzok area of Changthang in Ladakh has become the highest Ramsar site surpassing Salar de Tara in Chile. Also wild animals including Kiang, Nyan, Bharal, Wolf, Red Fox, Lynx , Marmots etc. dwell about the lakes. Besides beautiful habitats for birds Tsomoriri form an important living source for nomadic people called Changpas and their huge livestock that rely on the pastures around lakes.


Tsokar Lake

Like Tsomoriri, Tso-kar an another important lake surrounded by wetlands and lush green meadows is not only home to many birds but also has the vast surrounding area forming the main pasture of the Samad-Rokchen nomadic community living in tents ( Rebo) around the lake. The lake water is brackish and in fact traditionally it was a major source of salt for the locals.


Pangong Lake

Pangong lake forms a part of the border area between India and China. On the Indian side the lake is 40 miles in length and nearly 2-4 miles in width- the majority lies on the Chinese side of the border. It is said that 75% of the Lake is in China and only 25% is in India. The landscape on the way to Pangong is spectacular.

 

CONTACT US for Customized Itinerary

error: Content is protected !!